Skip Navigation

Dark Theme or Light Theme?

elli Avatar
elli GB Regular **

Post by elli on Feb 11, 2019 9:56:27 GMT -7

GamingBoards v2 was released yesterday, and with it the dark mode feature! (You can toggle this with the bright blue button on the far right of the screen)

Which do you prefer? The dark theme or the light theme?
Last edited Feb 11, 2019 9:58:33 GMT -7 by elli
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
Jon Avatar
Jon GB Staff *****

Post by Jon on Feb 11, 2019 11:05:16 GMT -7

This was a hard vote for me because I honestly love them both. However, I'll have to go with light if I have to choose. :P

Jon Avatar
We’re very excited to have finally launched the long-awaited “GBv2” theme upgrade. This is truly an amazing experience and we owe it all to our designer/theme creator ! With that said, on behalf of the entire GamingBoards.net community, thank you, Elli!!

The Gaming Boards community forum is a reflection of what our members have asked for and whose feedback helped shape this community over our many years (since 2005!).

​ We feel as if we’re closer now than ever to achieving our goal of providing a user, and mobile-friendly gaming community which is unique and allows individuals to be heard while participating in genuine discussions with other gamers who share the same passion for gaming.

We’ll continue to grow as a community and always provide only the best environment to discuss and share your passion for gaming while you network with other gamers.

We’re very excited for the road ahead, GBv2 was one massive step in the right direction so thank you GB Gamers for being patient and thank you once again, Elli, for all of your hard work!

Here’s to a great 2019 with the awesome Gaming Boards community!

Last edited Feb 11, 2019 17:35:26 GMT -7 by Jon
Lanbo Avatar
Lanbo GB Addict ****
sig
LimeRain Avatar
LimeRain GB Regular **

Check out our academic mega thread!

Computer Scientist Undergrad with knowledge in Math & Psychology
Apocalyssa Avatar
Apocalyssa GB Newbie *

Post by Apocalyssa on Feb 11, 2019 12:14:28 GMT -7

When it's dark around you it's good not to tire your eyes with a bright screen, that's why most websites/applications propose a dark theme. But when you're outside or in a place that's lighten up, the white theme doesn't hurt at all. I like 'em both but since dark theme is definitely going to win, I voted for the white one, and so that Danth won't be left out. ;p
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

gregory Avatar
gregory GB Newbie *
shagorrath Avatar
shagorrath GB Newbie *
lmagi Avatar
lmagi GB Newbie *
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on Feb 11, 2019 19:55:26 GMT -7

I'm going to have to pick the light theme! I love the original look and feel, if it's too bright I simply dim the brightness on my monitor. But I will say, the dark mode is a pretty sweet new feature!! :)
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
Deleted Avatar
Deleted
Last edited Jul 21, 2023 8:04:54 GMT -7 by Deleted
Smokey Avatar
Smokey GB Newbie *

Follow me on Mixer! - 900+ followers!
My girlfriend Shortie is amazing! I love you Nikki!
Lots_0 Avatar
Lots_0 GB Newbie *
thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***

Post by thejason on Jan 4, 2020 3:10:13 GMT -7

This is weird so many like dark themes. I like dark themes - but I get so much heat online for it. Anyway, some feel dark only goes with the gaming niche - but I disagree. In fact, I use it for music instruction and webmaster/business niches (My forum is sort of a light-hearted business site.). I don't see the big deal really - but I can see why, for instance, a baby-care site wouldn't be black - LOL.

What do most people prefer based on studies?

Most prefer light with a large minority thinking the choice depends on the niche.

problogger.com/light-or-dark-blog-backgrounds-poll-results/
Last edited Jan 4, 2020 3:37:13 GMT -7 by thejason