Were arcades a waste of change? Movie Spoiler: Wayne's World

Question
thejason Avatar
thejason GB Gamer ***
Last edited Jun 5, 2018 12:01:18 GMT -7 by thejason
jerlene Avatar
jerlene GB Newbie *

Post by jerlene on Oct 7, 2018 15:01:06 GMT -7

Arcades were definitely not a waste of money. I spent a lot of money on video games but never saw it as a waste. It was one of my favourite past times. I would always wake up and go downstairs(I lived in an apartment then) to the cabana, where the games were, and just spend my day playing games with my friends.
bloodmancer Avatar
bloodmancer GB Newbie *
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****

Post by megannatasha on Oct 8, 2018 14:16:39 GMT -7

Arcades were massive prior to home consoles, they're obviously not as big as they once were. Although, they definitely still serve a purpose all of these years later. I love the latest and greatest graphics and consoles, however, I'm still just as excited to hit up a gaming arcade whenever the opportunity arises. :)
Lord Tuba Blueba Avatar
Lord Tuba Blueba GB Regular **

Post by Lord Tuba Blueba on May 24, 2019 20:27:31 GMT -7

Time Crysis 3. A me and my buddy would skip out on class sometimes and go to the old sportsworld arcade (before it got ripped out) we spend hours dumping quarters into this game. Got really butthurt the first time that we beat it because I went to put the gun back in the cradle and accidentally hit the skip cutscene button. Never got to see the ending, until I went to a dave and busters arcade many years later and found one. Played that summabitch thru in one go. Also used to crush House of the Dead. What a money eater that one is. Still haven't beat the first one.
Kaynil Avatar
Kaynil GB Newbie *

Post by Kaynil on Jan 17, 2020 9:48:14 GMT -7

Everything served its purpose if arcades hadn't been as popular in the US probably other companies wouldn't have tried their hand with the home consoles. Because of their intention of keeping us putting those coins they also brought forward a faster-paced style, and they had to make it simple enough to understand but hard to master. There are some genres I remember I liked like the side scroller fighters the TMNT and The Simpsons one in that style were really cool. Even today there are some games for arcades we can't have at home, like Mario Kart games.

As for people, well those machines helped the economy, it helped people socialize it gave teenagers something to do.

I would imagine that with any kind of machine you can keep putting money, it is all depending on self-control. You can set up money apart for the arcades without blowing all your savings. We spend a few dollars nowadays still, over little things, so I don't see it as something that different.