Skip Navigation

Wifi Security

Discussion
Jon Avatar
Jon GB Staff *****

Post by Jon on Aug 27, 2017 9:18:53 GMT -7

Wifi is something we use in everyday life, from home, work, a restaurant, to the coffee shop down the street. But I wanted to speak a little bit about our home Wifi connection. Did you know that approximately 80% of routers and Wifi broadcasts are insecure? This can be due to multiple reasons, such as; Using a weak password, using a password that's easily guessable(such as your phone number), not using the correct Wifi protection, leaving WPS active when not in use, and the most common problem that is leaving your router credentials set to default(usually after purchasing a Range Extender or a Router from the store).

So the question is, what can be done? First off, when your ISP(Internet Service Provider) initially installed your services at your home, they should have given you a 12 digit numeric passcode along with your SSID(Service Set Identifier, AKA your Wifi name), this should be kept in a safe place and not given out to neighbors, as they're able to reach a 2.4GHz network from a fair distance away (typically a couple of houses down). Don't change your wifi password to the name of your dog, cat, or great uncle. Majority of the time you're causing a massive flaw in your home network security by doing this. A 12 digit numeric password has 8916100400000 combinations available, it's extremely unlikely this will ever get cracked by brute force(comparing a password list to your password).

Second, you want to be sure you're using the correct Wifi protection settings, using WPA(2)-Personal(PSK), is best in today's day and age. Be sure the network is not Open or using WEP. Also, if you're not using the WPS(Wi-Fi Protected Setup) then there is no reason to leave this active, as it just leaves your network open to more vulnerabilities.

Last but not least, If you've recently purchased a range extender or router on your own, be sure to change the default login credentials to something secure, write them down, and store them in a safe place.
Last edited May 23, 2019 5:59:43 GMT -7 by Jon
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****
xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on Feb 8, 2019 7:49:08 GMT -7

A great article guide with valuable information. The more we know about cyber security, the greater chance of preventing a cyber attack on our home broadband connection. Thank you for posting this Dan. I'll be sure to change the router's cresdentials to a 12 digit numerical password.
Last edited Feb 8, 2019 7:49:29 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

Post by Nergal on Feb 8, 2019 11:12:33 GMT -7

xxinfectedxx Avatar
A great article guide with valuable information. The more we know about cyber security, the greater chance of preventing a cyber attack on our home broadband connection. Thank you for posting this Dan. I'll be sure to change the router's cresdentials to a 12 digit numerical password.
1) Don't broadcast the password scheme you plan on using, you've just created a profile for brute-forcing your own system.
2) Alphanumeric would be better.

xxinfectedxx Avatar
xxinfectedxx GB Addict ****

Post by xxinfectedxx on May 10, 2019 2:26:20 GMT -7

Nergal Avatar
xxinfectedxx Avatar
1) Don't broadcast the password scheme you plan on using, you've just created a profile for brute-forcing your own system.
2) Alphanumeric would be better.
Okay, many thanks for the advice. After reading your post, I guess it's time to enhance my routers security. Any other tips? 
Last edited May 10, 2019 2:27:55 GMT -7 by xxinfectedxx
Deleted Avatar
Deleted
Last edited Jul 21, 2023 8:04:20 GMT -7 by Deleted
braindeadgenius Avatar
braindeadgenius GB Newbie *

Post by braindeadgenius on May 22, 2019 19:05:30 GMT -7

andrew Avatar
If you have the knowledge and ability to do so, it also would not be a bad idea to isolate your internal network (smart devices [TVs, thermostats, cameras, etc.], computers, laptops, and the like) from a public/guest network. This is just a "nice to have" and not a requirement, of course, but ideally if you want to go the extra mile at home (or work) you can. Say you have MyWifi and MyWifiGuest, you can rest assured that you've separated off your guests who connect that might have snooping or malicious intentions, off on to a separate network (a "subnet")that goes directly to the Internet (would require a direct LAN port on router to the WAN) and they would not have access to your internal network devices.

Other than this optional step, I think covered a great summary of wise things to do with wifi security.
I honestly never thought about this for the home network. I'm going to have to check this out and set it up. I'm basically living with randos, and that'd help a lot.
Lord Tuba Blueba Avatar
Lord Tuba Blueba GB Regular **

Post by Lord Tuba Blueba on May 24, 2019 20:51:25 GMT -7

Bitdefender is my life man, It's saved my butt a few times when my phone found it's way on an open network. I use the mobile app on my phone with FREE daily VPN. (I actually upgraded to the full VPN after finding it so useful). I have been thinking on getting the Bitdefender Box but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Anyone here use it before?
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****

Post by megannatasha on May 25, 2019 20:12:10 GMT -7

Lord Tuba Blueba Avatar
Bitdefender is my life man, It's saved my butt a few times when my phone found it's way on an open network. I use the mobile app on my phone with FREE daily VPN. (I actually upgraded to the full VPN after finding it so useful). I have been thinking on getting the Bitdefender Box but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Anyone here use it before?
I've used Bitdefender before, yes. I loved it. :P
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on May 31, 2019 12:04:35 GMT -7

Thanks for the advice. At the moment, our WiFi password is just the random one that came with the router and honestly, I'm too lazy to change it. This is probably good though because it would probably be difficult to crack. It's a shame because if I ever want to reconnect, I have to go all the way to the router to get it

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
Deleted Avatar
Deleted
Last edited Jul 21, 2023 8:05:35 GMT -7 by Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Deleted

Post by Deleted on Feb 2, 2020 0:01:12 GMT -7

Another thing here (Im actually a support technician for a telecoms company) so if you do break it your likely to get through to me to help to fix it lol.

If your using your own router and not the "locked down" one that are supplied by some telecoms providers then i would also recommend turning off remote management.

This can be done via your routers dashboard and going into the Security / Management section and in Remote Management disabling both http and https on the WAN which will make the routers admin screens accessible via a local connection only.

In addition as mentioned above .. Never leave your router set to the default password as these are widely known and anyone can login and access your wifi details and also change things to lock you out.

In the instance this does happen place a small object into the reset button and press and hold for 30 seconds .. Once complete this will return your router to factory settings and allow you to regain control .. The connection settings for the router "if setup correctly" should automatically be retrieved from your ISP's TR-069 server so give it a few minutes to download the config files and then restart the router again and you will be back online.

Just remember to login to the router interface and change the default passwords and even usernames if available.