Skip Navigation

Wolfenstein & iD Software - the Birth of the FPS

Deleted Avatar
Deleted

Post by Deleted on Jul 28, 2019 22:18:19 GMT -7

Wolfenstein Youngblood, the latest in the Wolfenstein franchise that started with Wolfenstein New Order, released last Friday (7/26) and features twin daughters of BJ and Anya Blaskowicz, Jess and Soph. Alongside it, the PS4 got a new Virtual Reality game in Wolfenstein Cyberpilot!

What an amazing franchise, and it's thrilling how far the games have come! Because, I don't know if you remember, Wolfenstein started off originally as basically a small pixel BJ scurrying around your screen. It wasn't until iD Software that we saw Wolfenstein in 3D for the first time, and also in first person, a gaming first.

Now look at gaming today! Games can be played any way, from first person to third person to top-down to side-scrolling to Tetris... Apex Legends & Fortnite, Call of Duty & Battlefield, Assassin's Creed & God of War, Forza and Gran Turismo, Grand The Auto and Red Dead Redemption, Mario and Zelda, fishing games, farming games, platformers, pinball platformers (Yoku's Island Express), Diablo 3... Minecraft! The game that never dies! World of Warcraft, Shaiya, Arma, Overwatch & Rainbow Six... And Virtual Reality...

Ok, now I'm just off in game-dreaming land...
Kaynil Avatar
Kaynil GB Newbie *

Post by Kaynil on Jan 17, 2020 10:24:21 GMT -7

Oh, what year was the original Wolfenstein. I didn't know about their origins or that it predated other first-person perspectives. That reminds me, I remember I read some interview where Miyamoto considered at some point of the development for Zelda Ocarina of Time, for the game to be in first person. They went against it because it was at the point they had decided on the two ages for Link, and they felt that first-person perspective wasn't going to drive things home as well as third-person perspective.

It is really cool how videogames have evolved and how different genres have interpolated together. I missed the Dreamcast, but I've seen and heard some of Shenmue and how that game was really ambitious on its time, trying to be the game of games that allowed you to do a bit of everything. It is on my bucket list for sure.

Are you getting Youngblood?
Last edited Jan 17, 2020 10:25:36 GMT -7 by Kaynil: Youngblood the game, not actual blood from youngsters.
ravenfreak Avatar
ravenfreak GB Newbie *