Skip Navigation

Steam or Epic Game Store?

Xanzabar Avatar
Xanzabar GB Newbie *

Post by Xanzabar on Jul 11, 2019 15:47:10 GMT -7

This is a hot topic that has been tossed around for a while.

EPS has been making exclusivity deals with many developers, keeping their games away from Steam. This practice has been questionable to many people, especially when the deal happens to a Kickstarter campaigns without giving any notice to its backers. Furthermore, people have pointed out that Epic Games doesn't keep a tight lid with their security with their customer base. Their platform also doesn't have as many features as Steam. EPS hasn't been out for long so there may be some improvements to look forward to.

Steam is not without any fault to say the least. Valve used to make great games before being complacent Steam being one of the most dominant seller in the market. Additionally, their lack of curation has caused the store to be saturated with shovelware. They also give developers a smaller cut of their sales on games compared to EPS.

At the moment, I prefer Steam over EPS but I'm rooting for EPS to grow so it can drive some competition. Maybe it'll make Valve develop games again but that's probably just a pipe dream.
Jon Avatar
Jon GB Staff *****

Post by Jon on Jul 12, 2019 7:16:38 GMT -7

I currently only use Steam myself, besides on the rare occasion the game I'm after is only available on Origin, Epic Games Store, etc. That said, I wouldn't mind some competition either, it's healthy for businesses and keeps things evolving and moving forward with consumer demands. Plus, more competition usually means a more competitive market where we're able to get more bang for our buck.
Xanzabar Avatar
Xanzabar GB Newbie *

Post by Xanzabar on Jul 12, 2019 15:55:25 GMT -7

I'm wary about EA Origins. My personal experience with that platform was initially fine until I took a hiatus. When I came back, I found out that my entirely library was gone and customer service wasn't much help with retrieving my games back.

Additionally, yes, competition is great for the market but I'm very concerned how EGS is introducing itself. Tim Sweeney hasn't been exactly graceful on Twitter when responding to topics about the store plus Epic Games hasn't been kind to it's customer base.
Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

Post by Nergal on Jul 28, 2019 14:00:34 GMT -7

i dont have the epic games store installed. i am trying to get in the habbit of logging in to the EGS from browser to claim free games though. i own 3 titles "purchased" like this so far

valve does a lot of shady stuff with steam, epic is giving indie developers a solid shot to make a name for themselves through epic at a higher rate of compensation than with steam. on the other hand epic has had their own share of scandals already.

for now i think steam is overall a more usable platform for the average consumer, but i have high expectations for epic
Last edited Jul 28, 2019 14:04:27 GMT -7 by Nergal

Smokey Avatar
Smokey GB Newbie *

Follow me on Mixer! - 900+ followers!
My girlfriend Shortie is amazing! I love you Nikki!
Deleted Avatar
Deleted

Post by Deleted on Jul 28, 2019 22:02:25 GMT -7

I have an account for both, but here's why I actually like the Epic Games Store more than Steam...

Because Steam hasn't updated with the times. That thing looks like it operates on Window ME!

Honestly, I find the Epic Store so much easier to navigate. It looks cleaner, I can find what I need when I need it, and, yeah...
ash Avatar
ash GB Gamer ***

Post by ash on Oct 30, 2019 9:15:46 GMT -7

Whilst there are some great deals with the Epic Games Store, Steam is just way ahead and at the moment, way better than what Epic Games can offer. I know a lot of people are not huge fans of Epic Games right now especially with what they are doing to gain exclusives but we will just have to wait and see how the platform/store ends up. Maybe one day they'll be better than Steam

A Forum For Those Looking To Earn Money Online | Redeem PayPal & Giftcards!
Deleted Avatar
Deleted

Post by Deleted on Oct 30, 2019 11:34:45 GMT -7

Honestly, I haven't actually used a different game store other than Origin and Steam. I've heard a lot of things about the Epic Games Store but I haven't had any desire to go over there yet. My primary game store is 99% Steam.
Deleted Avatar
Deleted
Last edited Jul 21, 2023 8:06:26 GMT -7 by Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Deleted
gentice Avatar
gentice GB Newbie *

Post by gentice on Dec 18, 2019 4:25:15 GMT -7

Personally I have like 300 games in steam but probably around 25 in EA Origin, 5 on Ubisoft Uplay, and about 40 on Epic. I even have like 30 games on the Twitch app. I like steam the best but they are all usable!
Tipsy Blonde Avatar
Tipsy Blonde GB Regular **
esmee Avatar
esmee GB Newbie *

Post by esmee on Jan 3, 2020 1:35:21 GMT -7

I don't have any specific favorites. As long as my games are there. I don't mind. I would only compare the two on the basis of the key keeping and the discounts. My experience says steam and GG are not bad with either of them. I also think that EPIC would have it's own flow too eventually with new games.