Skip Navigation

RuneScape game review

GuideReview
Jon Avatar
Jon GB Staff *****

Post by Jon on Apr 24, 2019 11:10:22 GMT -7

RuneScape is a game that many of us have played in our younger days, all it required was an internet connection, a web browser that supported Java, and voilà, you were deep inside of a mysterious world joined by a vast playerbase hungry for their next adventure. RuneScape was updated over the years leaving behind the outdated version of the game for those unwilling to take on the new changes. The versions and dates of RuneScape are as follows -

• RuneScape Classic: January.04 of 2001~August.06 of 2018
  • RuneScape 2: March.29 of 2004
  • RuneScape(HD): July.01 of 2008
  • Old School RuneScape: February.22 of 2013
  • RuneScape 3: July.22 of 2013
  • Darkscape: September.16 of 2015~March.28 of 2016
  • RuneScape(NXT): April.18 of 2016

Jagex, the creator of RuneScape, had closed its original game RuneScape Classic on August 06, 2018 after 17 years. RuneScape 2 was a step up from classic which introduced a new game engine and allowed Jagex to take the game a step further with three-dimensional graphics and an improved combat system. Then after eighteen months in development came RuneScape-High Detail, RSHD offered a major graphical overhaul which added improved textures, shadows, and lighting. Old school came next which was originally an exact copy of RuneScape as it was on August.10th of 2007, however, many changes have been made since it's release. RuneScape 3 made it's release shortly after Old School, offering a new user interface, customizations, weather improvements, and camera controls. It wasn't long after RuneScape 3's release that Jagex had announced it could no longer support future updates to RuneScape using Java and HTML5, and that they'd be migrating to a new client written in C++ codenamed 'NXT'. Darkscape was next in line, Darkscape was a variant of RuneScape which introduced an open-world Player Vs Player(PVP) environment and closed on March 28th or 2016 due to "lack of interest". Last but not least comes the RuneScape NXT client, Jagex was able to ditch the old engine and client moving forward with a much-improved version wrote in C++ which offered countless benefits to gameplay, environment, and graphics.

Alright, now that we have the client history covered, let's get onto the RuneScape game review!

RuneScape is a fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) that offers a massive map with over 220 quests to keep your adventurous side in tune. The combat gameplay and triangle have been completely revamped with RuneScape 3 compared to its predecessors, players now have access to action bars that can be packed with powerful or helpful abilities gained from combat-related skill levels. You're given the choice from legacy, which is simply RuneScape as it was before action bars and abilities - revolution which is fully automated abilities meaning you don't have to activate them manually once they're in your action bar they will be used in priority of how they're configured(1-10) - and full manual which means you can set up the action bar as you please, however, you'll have to activate each ability. 
An action bar filled with melee abilities

There are currently 28 skills to keep your character extra busy, ranging from hand combat, magic abilities, archery, to cooking, crafting, and smithing. The wide variety of skills makes the game very interesting and allows for an escape from the everyday hack-and-slash grind. As if that wasn't enough to keep you going, RuneScape is loaded with minigames which help you acquire experience or items with friends or clan mates.

While playing RuneScape you can expect a social atmosphere with mostly helpful players willing to guide you along your travels. Starting off you'll spend a great deal of time just learning what the game has to offer until you find that one skill that really catches your eye, or perhaps a high-level boss you'd love to defeat, or even a weapon you've seen a RuneScape veteran player marching around Gielinor(RuneScape's world) with that you just have to have. Making friends is easy using the friend's system and also with the high amount of clans within game looking to recruit their next foot-soldier, just keep your eyes peeled for a planted clan vexillum or ask around, it won't take long to find your next group of RuneScape buddies.

RuneScape offers a massive variety of character customizations, finding two players dressed alike isn't very common because of this. With 'keepsake keys' you're able to put any item into a special box to be used as a cosmetic overriding your appearance without affecting the skill bonus(es) of your currently worn equipment. Within the ginormous beautiful map, you can find many helpful NPC("non-player character") to guide you along your way or send you off on your next adventure, many of which offer items of value or in-game currency GP(gold pieces).

All-in-all, RuneScape is a great game with plenty to keep you busy, an ever-evolving map with new skills, quests, and general updates constantly in development. If you're up for a great adventure with some new friends, be sure to checkout RuneScape.

Last edited Apr 9, 2020 17:02:28 GMT -7 by Jon
Jon Avatar
Jon GB Staff *****
Last edited Apr 24, 2019 12:54:23 GMT -7 by Jon
ipwnz Avatar
ipwnz GB Newbie *
KuzumiBoo Avatar
KuzumiBoo GB Regular **
megannatasha Avatar
megannatasha GB Addict ****
demarco Avatar
demarco GB Addict ****

Nergal Avatar
Nergal GB Staff *****

Post by Nergal on May 3, 2019 18:06:56 GMT -7

It's a pretty okay game. I've played for years and for the most part the community is friendly enough. Of course we must remember to welcome newer players to the game for they are our legacy, such is the Will of Fire.

Land_of_Fire

Deleted Avatar
Deleted
Last edited Jul 21, 2023 8:03:11 GMT -7 by Deleted
Tipsy Blonde Avatar
Tipsy Blonde GB Regular **
braindeadgenius Avatar
braindeadgenius GB Newbie *
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on May 25, 2019 20:40:31 GMT -7

It's a good review, and there's certainly no shortage of things to do. One thing I'd love to see that'll never happen is a complete overhaul of the game's engine and graphics.
I agree! This was a great review of RuneScape and it would be neat to see Jagex take the graphics to the next level.
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
braindeadgenius Avatar

Post by braindeadgenius on May 26, 2019 2:26:56 GMT -7

GamingLyfe Avatar
It's a good review, and there's certainly no shortage of things to do. One thing I'd love to see that'll never happen is a complete overhaul of the game's engine and graphics.
I agree! This was a great review of RuneScape and it would be neat to see Jagex take the graphics to the next level.
One thing I meant by that too, was that it would be good to see the game come alive as a stand-alone client. Right now, it’s quite limited in abilities being a Java based game. They need a new engine to run the game, a complete rework. 
GamingLyfe Avatar
GamingLyfe GB Addict ****

Post by GamingLyfe on May 26, 2019 8:27:57 GMT -7

One thing I meant by that too, was that it would be good to see the game come alive as a stand-alone client. Right now, it’s quite limited in abilities being a Java based game. They need a new engine to run the game, a complete rework. 
From the wiki "RuneScape was originally a browser game built with the Java programming language, but was largely replaced by a standalone C++-coded client in 2016" -- Didn't Jagex already do this for RuneScape? O_o
Here to game and network with gamers alike, feel free to message me!
braindeadgenius Avatar

Post by braindeadgenius on May 26, 2019 12:31:26 GMT -7

I never looked at the details of the updates, I thought it was still Java based with the new client. Irregardless if that, any sort of improvement there is minuscule in comparison to the ones they need to make in order to make the game better. There are so many things wrong with the graphics and mechanics of the game.
Tipsy Blonde Avatar
Tipsy Blonde GB Regular **

Post by Tipsy Blonde on May 30, 2019 13:31:23 GMT -7

I agree with you dead, but I think runescape and rs3 has come a long way since is was first released. That being said, I think there are plenty of changes that actually need to be made to make the game better as a whole.